Friday, October 10

It's Time for Pumpkin

It is that time of year.  The air gets crisp.  The days get shorter.  And the pumpkin recipes take over the blogosphere.  This is my favorite time of year.  I decided it was finally time for my to jump on the bandwagon and make a pumpkin treat.  And there is nothing more delicious or perfect for this first outing of the season that pumpkin whoopie pies.

First, please tell me you have heard of whoopie pies before.  In Western Pennsylvania (where I grew up) they were called Gobs.  Generally a lovely devils food cake cookies with a vanilla icing center.  When I got to college, in central Pennsylvania, they were called Whoopie Pies.  There was a bakery on campus.  They supplied all of the treats for the cafeteria and also were a good ole bakery that people from the town patronized.  My favorite thing in the fall was to go there and get a pumpkin whoopie pie.  They only had them for sale in the fall, but it was always such a treat.  They were large, full of yummy cream cheese icing, and the perfect thing to munch on while walking to a class.

So in honor of the bakery at Elizabethtown College, here is my first pumpkin recipe of the season.  I know there will be more...

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Makes about 15 sandwich cookies
From the Pittsburgh Post Gazette

For the cookies:
2 1/4 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
8 T soft butter
1 1/4 c sugar
2 large eggs
1 t vanilla
1/2 c sour cream
3/4 c canned pumpkin

For the filling:
6 T soft butter
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 t vanilla
2 c powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line the bottoms of your baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine the flour, powder, soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.  Set aside.  Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 1 minute until smooth.  Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for 30 seconds.  Decrease the speed to low and mix in the sour cream and pumpkin until just combined.  Add the flour mixture and blend until it is incorporated.  Drop rounded tablespoons of batter three inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.  The batter is thick enough to hold its mound shape on the sheets.

Bake cookies for about 12 minutes, or until the tops are firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cookies comes out clean.  Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheets before removing.   

Put the butter, cream cheese and vanilla in a large bowl and with an electric mixer, beat on medium for about 1 minute until the mixture is smooth and thoroughly combined.  Decrease the speed to low and add the powdered sugar in 2 additions.  Beat until it is incorporated and the frosting is smooth, about 1 minute.

Use a thin metal spatula to spread a slightly rounded tablespoon of icing over the flat bottoms of half of the cooled cookies.  Press the flat bottoms of the remaining cookies on the cream cheese frosting.  Chill until the frosting is firm, about 30 minutes.

20 sweets:

April in CT said...

These look incredibly scrumptious! I'll have to add it to my ever growing list of pumpkin goodies to make.

slush said...

I wish I had seen this recipe in the Post Gazette, I even live in the 'burgh! LOL

I am so going to make these this coming week.

Adam said...

Sweet recipe Sarah. I made whoopie pies for the first time a couple of months ago (the devils one) and they were a monster hit. School talked about them for weeks... it was crazy.

Now the pumpkin ones look very Fall-ish... I must do :)

Jacque said...

These sound delicious! Lovely picture.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Sarah, how perfect for this time of year. So many people have been making whoopie pies, but this is the first pumpkin one I see. Cool. I'll give it a shot. Great job.

Jenny said...

Sara, these cookies look so good. I love anything sandwiched between frosting!

Deborah said...

Every fall I want to make these, but never have. I need to change that this year!

Katie said...

Yummm...these look like pumpkin heaven!

Haley said...

Now that is the way to start off the pumpkin baking season! I've never had a pumpkin woopie pie, so I'm excited to try these out!

We would love to feature your recipe on the Demy- the first and only digital recipe reader! If interested email me at haleyglasco@gmail.com

Ingrid said...

Hey those look good. I want one, pretty please? I've been wanting to make these.
~ingrid

Keesha aka PrissyCook said...

I made pumpkin whoopie pies last year and I had never EVER heard of such a thing. They were soooo good. I took them to work and made it my mission to find everyone I could from PA and I gave them one.

Lisa said...

I love these fall whoopie pies!

Megan said...

I made these today - they are so awesome! I haven't even filled them yet, but the cookies taste just like little pumpkin pies!

EAT! said...

I know these would not last very long in my house. We went through 3 dozen mini pumpkin muffins just yesterday. I'll have to double the recipe!!

Jaime said...

you should try the pumpkin cookies in my blog - higher cookie to icing ratio :)

Tami said...

These look great! I just made Mini Pumpkin Whoopie pies that are chocolate cookies with pumpkin filling, that are really good! (you can see them here on my blog: http://tamiskitchentabletalk.blogspot.com/2008/10/cookie-carnivals-mini-pumpkin-whoopie.html)

I love the shirt that you are wearing in your profile picture. I see that you live in NC, so do I--but I'm from southwestern Pa.. Go Steelers! Are you from that area? I read the Post Gazette still, too. ;)

Jin Hooi said...

Your pumpkin whoopie pie looks great !! I made mini pumpkin whoopie pies the other day and turned out to be a kitchen disaster .. D'oh!!!! Have a look at mine if you want ;-))

http://jinhooi.blogspot.com/2008/10/mini-pumpkin-whoopie-pies.html

meg said...

those looks fantastic! i think i'll have to try making them soon :)

Lori said...

I have been craving these cookies! They look so delicious.

Leonor de Sousa Bastos said...

Your whoopie pies are lovely!!!
I love the picture's background and I'm anxious to try some of these...

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio