Tuesday, August 26

Day at the beach

First, there is no TWD here this week. I just couldn't come up with a reason to make the Banded Ice Cream Torte chosen by Amy of Food, Family, and Fun. I am also not a huge ice cream fan. However, I have already made next weeks recipe...so stand by! :)

This is Black Bean Salad. I'm going to share the recipe with you. But first I want to share why I made it in the first place. We had a Family Day for work last week. What that means is we all gathered with our families and enjoyed some hamburgers, hot dogs, other yummy food, and a lot of fun.
The Family Day was held here, on Onslow Beach. It was a gorgeous, but windy day. Not too hot and lovely beach weather.
One of the perks of living so close to the beach is the fact that most social events take place at the beach. Not only did we have a pavilion, we also had a bouncy house and other things for the kids to play with (kids means actual children and Marines!)
That is me, throwing like a girl, and totally missing my target. What was my target? The dunk tank. But as you can see, I was already wet...there was a reason for that.
I had to get in the dunk tank. There was a fundraiser and I raised the third highest number of votes. That meant I had to spend five minutes in the dunk tank. A LONG five minutes.
And I got dunked...more than just once!
And being tall did nothing to help me...when the seat flipped, I was completely underwater. And it was cold!
But, I survived my five minutes and it was actually pretty fun!

I don't think anyone like my salad though...

Black Bean Salad
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 15 oz cans whole kernel corn, drained
8 green onions, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 lime, juiced
1/2 c Italian salad dressing
1/2 t garlic salt

In a large bowl, combine black beans, corn, green onions, jalapeno peppers, green peppers, avocado, tomatoes, lime juice, and Italian dressing. Season with garlic salt. Toss and chill before serving.

8 sweets:

n.o.e said...

I couldn't come up with a reason to make the torte either, but I made it anyway. ha ha. And it's sitting in the freezer. Lovely black bean salad; I make one that's similar but it has toasted pecans.
Nancy

KIM :-) said...

Yea! I took some of those pics! How fun it was to watch you get dunked, too! hehe :-D Oh and the salad was delish!! :-P

Maria said...

I can't wait to make this salad. It looks so easy and obviously everyone devoured it!!

Prudy said...

I love black bean salad and it's perfect for taking to these fun potlucks. My dad rented a dunk tank for a family party this summer and we all had a blast with it. You just can't help but smile with a dunk tank around.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Yummy salad. And by the beach. You are so lucky. I live in the middle of the desert. So have a great time for me, and make some more of that salad.

Mary Ann said...

Yum- this looks so good.

Jaime said...

this looks so good! if you like this, you should try this pasta salad -
http://www.goodeatsblog.com/2008/08/southwestern-wagon-wheel-pasta-salad.html

Cindy DG said...

just digging through some older posts! This black bean salad looks awesome!
Cindydg
I love having you on my blogroll!
http://vegetarianmamma.blogspot.com

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio