Monday, July 21

Baked Tofu as Fries?

I had a package of extra firm tofu in the fridge that I wanted to use up and had no idea how to accomplish that. It frustrates me that the majority of recipes involving tofu are Asian based. I understand why that is, but I wasn't in the mood for anything like that. I have been craving the acidity of tomatoes recently, so I decided to see if this would work.

I had no idea if this would turn out as I created it. It is less of a recipe and more of a technique. All I did was take a package of extra firm tofu and slice it into "fries". I blotted them with paper towels to try to dry them some. Then I tossed them in some Italian breadcrumbs. This wasn't really to make a crust on them, but to add a bit of flavor. I laid them on a baking sheet and baked them for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, flipping them half way through the baking time. Once they came out of the oven, I ate them by dunking them in ketchup. They were so good I ate the ENTIRE package of tofu as "fries". This is something I will surely make again...try them and fall in love!

9 sweets:

Rindy R said...

Sarah - What a great idea! Could I pass these off as Mock-arella sticks if I served them with some pizza sauce?

Jayne said...

Oh, good for you! I've actually made deep fried tofu (certainly not as healthy as baked!) and it came out very crispy - like fries. So much fun, huh?

Mary Ann said...

I have done this before as a treat for my kids and I ended up eating all of it! Those look so good! glad to find another tofu lover :)

sarah j. gim said...

first tried these at a restaurant here in LA called musha. thought - oh! tofu! healthy! we just ignored the fact that they were breaded and fried.

but THESE - baked! love it :)

Jaime said...

you're so creative! i agree, all the tofu recipes are asian based... i love fried tofu with a soy based dipping sauce (or hoison sauce) and ma po tofu

bakersbakery said...

I'm trying this right now. :-)

The P & A Food Chronicles said...

yes, tofu is very good fried. i've had lots of experimenting on this since im a veggie

Jenn said...

BRILLIANT! I love tofu, I eat it all the time, i'm always looking for new ways to spruce it up. Thanks for the idea. I'll try it out.

Kristina said...

I made these yesterday, and they were absolutely perfect. I will be making them again, often! Thanks for sharing this idea.

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio