Tuesday, June 3

TWD: Florida Pie

I know. These aren't French Chocolate Brownies. Sorry. Di chose this weeks recipe and while I am sure there are many folks to whom this recipe would appeal to, I am unfortunately not one of them. There were raisins involved in this weeks recipe. While I am not adverse to all raisins, I am kind of picky about them (I blame my mom for giving me raisins as a snack so often when I was growing up...sort of raisined me out!). So, instead of bowing out from this week I decided to try a recipe from a few weeks ago that I didn't have a chance to do.


Dianne chose Florida Pie for her recipe for 13 May. I am so glad that I chose to make these! I didn't make a pie, but used my mini-muffin pan instead. I halved the graham cracker crumbs and the coconut cream and baked everything for 7 minutes. I am not a huge fan of meringue, so I used whipped cream on top instead. I think next time I would throw the coconut into the food processor first to make the coconut smaller. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.


What can I say about this recipe? It was FREAKIN' AWESOME! I brought them into work and everyones reactions was priceless. And NO ONE could stop at just one, to include me. And that is saying a lot because I like to watch everyone eat my goodies, but don't always eat them myself. I will for sure make these again...so yummy!


Please get out there and look at all of the other TWD posts today...there will be a lot of great looking French Chocolate Brownies out there!


Florida Pie
Makes 1 9 in pie or 36 mini muffin pies
From Baking: From My Home to Yours


1 9-inch graham cracker crust (page 235), fully baked and cooled, or a store-bought crust
1 1/3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
4 large eggs, separated
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh Key (or regular) lime juice (from about 5 regular limes)
1/4 cup of sugar

Getting Ready:
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the pie plate on a baking sheet lined with parchment of a silicone mat.


Put the cream and 1 cup of the coconut in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring almost constantly. Continue to cook and stir until the cream is reduced by half and the mixture is slightly thickened. Scrape the coconut cream into a bowl and set it aside while you prepare the lime filling.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl beat the egg yolks at high speed until thick and pale. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the condensed milk. Still on low, add half of the lime juice. When it is incorporated, add the reaming juice, again mixing until it is blended. Spread the coconut cream in the bottom of the graham cracker crust, and pour over the lime filling.

Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Transfer the pie to a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes, then freeze the pie for at least 1 hour.

To Finish the Pie with Meringue:
Put the 4 egg whites and the sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, whisking all the while, until the whites are hot to the touch. Transfer the whites to a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, or use a hand mixer in a large bowl, and beat the whites at high speed until they reach room temperature and hold firm peaks. Using a rubber spatula, fold the remaining 1/2 cup coconut into the meringue.


Spread the meringue over the top of the pie, and run the pie under the broiler until the top of the meringue is golden brown. (Or, if you’ve got a blowtorch, you can use it to brown the meringue.) Return the pie to the freezer for another 30 minutes or for up to 3 hours before serving.

19 sweets:

*hannah* said...

Hi, my name is hannah! I am 17 and I love cooking/baking. I am new to this whole blogging deal, but I have really enjoyed keeping up with yours! I love all of your recipes and how clean cut your site is. My brother is a huge brown sugar n cinnamon pop tart fan, so of course I tried your recipe. They were phenomenal! I cut mine into circles, but everyone in my family thought they were fabulous! I have a picture on my blog. Thanks so much for posting!

April said...

Your pies look great!

Mary Ann said...

Nice mini pies! That recipe was a definite winner, so I am sure that you enjoyed them! Glad to have you back-I missed ya!

rebekka said...

Aren't they the BEST! I'm glad you got a chance to make them!

Karina said...

Your mini pies are adorable! I'm glad you got a chance to make the Florida Pie!

LyB said...

They look really beautiful with the lime zest on top. :)

The Kitchen Vixen said...

Nice mini pies, and great pics!

eatme_delicious said...

Yum they're so cute looking! I didn't get a chance to make this on the week we were supposed to but I really want to.

Jess said...

What gorgeous little tarts!

Lisa said...

These look great! I am with you...whipped cream over meringue.

Sarah said...

These look so pretty! And I'm sure they taste just as good as they look.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

I love minis! These look great!

Joy said...

Who cares if you didn't make the brownies... These look lovely! I love mini tarts. They seem like the perfect summer treat!

Dianne said...

I love the minis! So cute!

Rebecca said...

I love that first photo! Gotta go back and try this recipe. I missed it last month.

Mansi Desai said...

This looks beautiful! I made mini cheesecakes too with orange and pistachio last week:)

btw, these are great as hors'doeuvres, so it'd be great if you could send this in to my monthly mingle blog event:)

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

I haven't made this recipe yet either, but after seeing your mini-pies, I'm jonesing for them!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Goodness, yes, those look awesome! I'd take those over raisins any day.

Jaime said...

your mini pies are sooo cute!

if you don't like raisins, you could have just omitted them or used another fruit! :) i used cherries...mmmmm!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio