Wednesday, June 4

Copycat Recipes

I sometimes think that everyone enjoys baking as much as me. That might have something to do with the fact that I read a gazillion different food blogs. I think that my Google reader might explode if I add one more blog! But it makes me think that baking is as easy for everyone else as it is for me. But what gets me is when I get handed recipes. They might be easy recipes, but are too difficult or too many steps for others.

My mom recently sent me an email with an attachment that contained a ton of copycat restaurant recipes. I quickly scanned through them to see if there were any that caught my eye. Usually these types of things contain recipes from restaurants you have never heard of. There were some of those types of recipes, but there were also a lot of really tasty recipes. I printed off four right away and tonight seemed like the best time to try one recipe number one.

Auntie Ann's pretzels remind me so much of the mall. They are buttery and delicious and the perfect treat when you are browsing the new clothes at Banana Republic! I am always skeptical about trying recipes like this, but this was a winner! They tasted EXACTLY like a pretzel from a stand in the mall! The only problem I encountered was not being able to roll the dough out thin enough. So while they may not look exactly like an Auntie Ann's pretzel, they sure do taste like them!

Auntie Ann's Copycat Pretzels
Makes about 12 pretzels

1 1/2 c warm water
1 1/8 t active yeast
2 T brown sugar
1 1/8 t salt
1 c bread flour
3 c flour

2 c warm water
2 T baking soda

Kosher salt, to taste
2-4 T butter, melted

Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in mixing bowl; stir to dissolve. Add sugar, salt, and stir to dissolve; add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic. Let rise at least 30 minutes.

While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 T baking soda. Be certain to stir often.

After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope (about 1/2 in or less thick) and shape. Dip pretzel into soda solution and place on greased baking sheet. Allow pretzels to rise again. Bake in a 450 degree preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until golden. Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with salt, and enjoy!

16 sweets:

d0cchuck said...

I'm not much of a baker, but I do love soft pretzels (except those frozen kind).

Yours looked great. Hopefully I can get my wife to try your recipe.

Thanks,
DocChuck

sweetnsavory said...

i LOVE those pretzels! thanks for the recipe!

Kelly said...

Mmm..I LOVE pretzels and am always looking for new recipes!
These look great!

Deborah said...

They look great! I love those copycat recipes. My mom actually bought me 2 cookbooks with copycat recipes!

EAT! said...

My daughter will be overjoyed if I made these for her. Your pretzels look better than the original.

AMY VIG said...

I'm not much of a baker myself (more of a cook) but just might break down and test my skills for this recipe. I LOVE Auntie Anne's pretzels. Though I might have to add a little bit of butter, cinnamon, and sugar at the end to make my favorite Auntie Anne's pretzel.

Thanks for sharing!

Lia said...

Hi, your pretzels look lovely! I'm a bit new at baking, so could you tell me how long/much we should let the dough rise for each time? Thanks :)

*hannah* said...

Those look so good! I will have to try them! I love the copycat recipes. I tried the Strawberry Pie from Shoney's and it was delicious! I also did Chik-fil-A's carrot salad. I was very pleased with both of them.

Leslie said...

ohhhh..I am soooo going to try these! Thanks fot posting them!

Donna said...

WOW! What nice looking pretzels! Auntie Annes watch out!

Oh, and I finally acknowledged the Bloggers with a Purpose award you gave me! Sorry it took so long!
You can see it here:
http://spatulascorkscrews.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/06/blogging-with-a-purpose-another-award.html

My Sweet & Saucy said...

I love homemade pretzels! These look so delicious! Great job!

Joy said...

I've never made homemade pretzels, but I think it's about time! I can smell Auntie Annie's right now. So not fair. I'm already hungry! Thanks for sharing this! You make it sound so easy, I'll try them tonight!

Sarah said...

I can never resist those darn pretzels! Yours look great.

Lucy said...

In the recent past I've made Sherry Yard's recipe. They're just like the ones sold by the vendors on the streets of NYC and good. Yours look great, and I must try those.... ;-)

Katy said...

oh, these are so on my list! i've been wanting to make pretzels forever, and i love auntie anne's! i always get one as a treat when i'm taking a train from penn station! :-)

MrsDocChuck said...

Like I have time to make him pretzels.

I am a busy Entrepreneur and registered nurse, teaching nutrition to assisted living facility workers.

Luckily there is an Aunt Annie's in our apartment complex so we indulge quite often. The cinnamon/sugar ones are the best.

Perhaps my wonderful husband will make THOSE for me for my upcoming birthday?

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio