Thursday, May 29

Not a fan of opera, but now a Barefoot Blogger!

First, I have to talk about the opera. Not the "la, la, la" kind of opera, but the Opera Cake that was missing from my blog yesterday when all of the other Daring Bakers were posting theirs. For the first time since I joined the Daring Bakers, I had to take a pass. With everything that has been going on the past month, the date just snuck up on me and since it took so many steps to prepare, I just never got to it.

On an exciting note (and sort of strange since I couldn't keep up with one blogging group this month), I have joined the newly formed Barefoot Bloggers! This group will examine all things Ina twice a month. I am so excited to be part of a group whose focus isn't baking! I often resort to things like cereal and the like for dinner, so I am looking forward to trying new recipes that don't involve a lot of sugar, butter, and flour!
In inaugural recipe for this group is Herb-Baked Eggs. When I saw this recipe, it looked like the perfect dinner for me and I was right. I didn't have any fresh herbs on hand, so I used dry. I am curious how this would taste with fresh herbs, but I enjoyed it this way as well. I made mine in a ramekin with just two eggs. Served with an english muffin (the only bread in the house), this made a great and quick dinner! I had to broil mine for about 10 minutes and the eggs were pretty much cooked through, but it was delicious. This will become a quick dinner staple for me!

Herbed-Baked Eggs
From: Barefoot In Paris
Makes 2-3 servings

1/4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
6 extra-large eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toasted French bread or brioche, for serving

Preheat the broiler for 5 minutes and place the oven rack 6 inches below the heat.

Combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and Parmesan and set aside. Carefully crack 3 eggs into each of 2 small bowls or teacups (you won't be baking them in these) without breaking the yolks. (It's very important to have all the eggs ready to go before you start cooking.)

Place 2 individual gratin dishes on a baking sheet. Place 1 tablespoon of cream and 1/2 tablespoon of butter in each dish and place under the broiler for about 3 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Quickly, but carefully, pour 3 eggs into each gratin dish and sprinkle evenly with the herb mixture, then sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Place back under the broiler for 5 to 6 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are almost cooked. (Rotate the baking sheet once if they aren't cooking evenly.) The eggs will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven. Allow to set for 60 seconds and serve hot with toasted bread.

14 sweets:

Melissa said...

Yours look great!

Megan said...

And I thought I was the only one that ate cereal for dinner!! (Sometimes lunch!) Glad to hear that you are doing better - and glad you liked the eggs - they were so easy - I'll be making them again.

Anonymous said...

Looks good! Next time you come south, we'll have to make them...

Heather said...

I'm the same way with dinner. Cereal more often than not for me! I'm glad you liked the eggs! They are a new favorite for me!

Rebecca said...

Looks delicious! Can't wait to try it tomorrow.

Jess said...

They look great - I like that our first recipe will now be a quick dinner/breakfast staple in my house.

Karina said...

You'll be amazed to see how well Ina incorporates butter and flour into dinner! I'm glad to know this works well with dried herbs, it looks like a great dinner.

bethanyjg said...

I want to get to know my fellow Barefoot Bloggers, so I tagged you on my blog! Have a great day! :)

kellypea said...

I love the Barefoot Contessa and this is one of my favorite recipes. It's so easy to make for the decadent flavors you get from it. Talk about an elegant dinner dish. YUM. And good luck with your Barefoot Bloggers -- it sounds like a lot of fun! I joined Daring Bakers because I didn't often bake and it gave me a reason to. Now I have a nice balance.

Miss Scarlett said...

I used to be a Daring Baker, but life got in the way:( My last challenge was the Lemon Meringue Pie one I think. Then I had to bail.
I *love* all things Ina Garten (even if she personally kind of gets on my nerves - her food is no-fuss and her recipes NEVER fail!) These eggs look amazing. I first discovered baked eggs in Nigella Lawson's "Express" cookbook and now I make them all the time. Will have to try this variation!

EAT! said...

Barefoot recipes are tried and true. I have been meaning to try this recipe - looks like breakfast to me.

madebymel said...

Looks great! I am looking forward to making all things Ina!

Michele said...

I just sent my email in to join the Barefoot Bloggers and then I saw this on Tastespotting. I will be making this tomorrow night for dinner. Looks wonderful and perfect for a quick summer dinner.

smellslikehome said...

so glad you liked the eggs! it's great to hear that little ramekins worked well for this - i'll definitely use those in the future.

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio