Thursday, April 10

Pop Tarts at Home

I love Pop Tarts. Don't give me a knock off. No generic brands. I can tell the difference. And when it is time for me to eat one, make sure it is a Brown Sugar Cinnamon one...no frosting please. I don't indulge in Pop Tarts often. Hardly ever buy them. But when I do. Oh, those are some tasty mornings.

I saw this recipe at King Arthur Flour and knew that I had to try it. I loved Pop Tarts so wouldn't it just make sense that I would love toaster pastries I made from scratch even more? The recipe seemed simple enough, so I decided to make some after work today.

Never again will a box of Pop Tarts find their way into my grocery cart. No sir. These rock! The pastry is super flaky. I brought the dough together in my food processor. Very easy and it worked perfectly.

The best part of this recipe? You don't have to waste the scrap dough after you have put the toaster pastries together. It is actually part of the recipe to dust them with cinnamon sugar and bake them. So you get these great, rustic pieces of pastry. So tasty...

So trust me, once you try this recipe and experience homemade toaster pastries, you won't go back to Pop Tarts. I promise!

Tasty Toaster Tarts
From King Arthur Flour
Makes 9 toaster tarts (plus leftover dough trimmings!)


Pastry:
2 c flour
1 T sugar
1 t salt
1 c unsalted butter, cut into pats
1 large egg
2 T milk

Cinnamon Filling:
1/2 c brown sugar
1 to 1 1/2 t cinnamon, to taste
4 t flour
1 large egg, to brush on pastry before filling

Make the Dough:
Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Work in the butter until the mixture holds together when you squeeze it, with pecan sized lumps of butter still visible. Mix the egg and milk, and add it to the dough, mixing just until everything is cohesive.

Divide the dough in half; each half will weigh about 10 ounces. Shape each half into a rough 3'' by 5'' rectangle, smoothing the edges. Roll out immediately; or wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Make the filling:
Whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, and flour.

Assemble the tarts:
If the dough has been chilled, remove it from the refrigerator and allow it to soften and become workable, about 15 to 30 minutes. Place one piece on a lightly floured work surface, and roll it into a rectangle about 1/8'' thick, large enough that you can trim it to an even 9'' by 12''. Laying a 9'' by 13'' pan atop the dough will give you an idea if you've rolled it large enough. Trim off the edges; place the scraps on a baking sheet, and set them aside, along with the 9'' by 12'' rectangle of dough.

Roll the second piece of dough just as you did the first. Press the edge of a ruler into the dough you've just rolled, to gently score it in thirds lengthwise and width wise; you'll see nine 3'' by 4'' rectangles.

Beat the egg, and brush it over the entire surface of the dough. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling into the center of each marked rectangle. Place the second sheet of dough atop the first, using your fingertips to press firmly around each pocket of filling, sealing the dough will on all sides. Press the tines of a fork all around the edge of the rectangle. Cut the dough evenly in between the filling mounds to make nine tarts. Press the cut edges with your fingers to seal, then press with a fork, to seal again.

Gently place the tarts on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Prick the top of each tart multiple times with a fork; you want to make sure steam can escape, or the tarts will become billowy pillows rather than flat toaster pastries. Refrigerate the tarts (they don't need to be covered) for 30 minutes, while you preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Sprinkle the dough trimmings with cinnamon-sugar; these have nothing to do with your toaster pastries, but it's a shame to discard them, and they make a wonderful snack. While the tarts are chilling, bake these trimmings for 13-15 minutes, till they are golden brown.

Remove the tarts from the fridge, and bake them for 25-35 minutes, until they are a light golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and allow to cool on the pan.

18 sweets:

RecipeGirl said...

Mmmm! They look great, but... no frosting and sprinkles on top?? :)

My SIL buys those organic pop tarts for her kiddos- yuck. They're just not the same. I'll have to try yours!

Sarah said...

I saw this recipe the other day too. My husband eats poptarts like they're being discontinued or something. I really want to try to make these this weekend.

Kimi said...

Wow, these look great. I would love to make these for company, who doesn't like poptarts! I found you on tastespotting and love your site. I am sending this invite, hope you join us!Just use the link at the bottom and let them know that "gardengalkim@gmail.com" referred you!

Hi friend!
I’d like to refer you to this fantastic publisher program I have just joined with Foodbuzz! I think your blog would be a great fit. The program is designed to promote and drive traffic to your blog, foster a food blog community and provide a way to monetize your site should you choose to. It’s awesome.
All you have to do is click the following link to fill out the Foodbuzz Referral Form. The Foodbuzz Team can then contact you asap!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=PHmE_2beDgRu9lXCecP7ezkA_3d_3d

bakingblonde said...

Those look so yummy! I saw those on the KA flour site last week. My fave is strawbery though so I may need to play around with the recipe a bit! Thanks for the picutres!

Sarah said...

recipegirl - thanks! you have to try them! the artificial taste of pop tarts is even more pronounced once you make your own!

sarah - they are pretty simple to make...how you try them!

kimi - thanks! these would be great for company...especially if there are kids involved! and thanks for the invite...just filled it out.

bakingblonde - thanks! this is definitely a recipe that screams for variations in the fillings. i think strawberry might be my next pick as well!

Tiffany said...

Ooh! I'll bookmark this. I have a Strawberry pop-tart recipe bookmarked...I think it was from Peabody. I'll have to try both. My daughter is vegetarian, and has to buy special super expensive pop-tarts because the regular ones have gelatin. So this might be a good fix for that!!

Sarah said...

tiffany - this would be a great option for your daughter...they aren't too hard to make either.

Kate said...

WHY did you have to go and post this recipe?! I'm trying to have healthy mornings.

The ONLY pop tart I ever liked was the Brown Sugar Cinnamon, and I can't abide a pop tart with that fake frosting / glaze / shell stuff on it. It was only a very occasional treat, but something about those hot toaster pastries with brown sugar were delicious -- but I'd guess it's been 5 years since I had one.

Now? Look what you've gone and made me do. Print this up so I can make some homemade myself. Darn it all. I'll make sure I eat an egg as well, to get some protien in there somewhere.

Indigo said...

Ohhh, now I want a poptart so much D=. Looks like I'll just have to - oh, there goes my printer.

Think I'll add a glaze, though. Mmmm ^__^

Deborah said...

I have seen a few people do home made pop tarts, and I have wanted to make them! I do love them with frosting, and the cinnamon filling sounds wonderful!

Sarah said...

kate - sorry! hope you like them! :)

indigo - a glaze would be great with these, i am sure...enjoy!

deborah - hope you try them!

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm I love pop tarts too but try to rarely eat them. My favourite is the strawberry with icing and sprinkles though. This brown sugar cinnamon pop tart looks amazing though so I'm going to be saving the recipe!

Sarah said...

eatmedelicious - this recipe is easy to change up...hope you try them!

Karina said...

I've been eyeing this recipe as well, I love the King Arthur blog! Yours look picture perfect.

mimi said...

homemade pop tarts? wow, that's a treat! these look great!

Sarah said...

These look so yummy! I don't really like pop-tarts (*gasp*), we never had them growing up & whenever I had them at friends' houses, I wondered why everyone thought that they were so good. :) These, though, I could definitely love! I'll have to try them soon.

Anonymous said...

Nature's Path Organic frosted toaster pastries Brown sugar maple cinnamon are a good tasting alternative to the other kinds . Same as if not better tasting than Kellogg's poptarts of the same flavor. As far as the recipe, I hope to try soon. Maybe then I'll even stop buying the organic ones for my children & FIL's once a week treat.

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Well, look here! I did a Google search for pop tart recipes and look who popped up!!! :) At the end of my pregnancy Mister Aiden got stuck with Pop Tarts. That has become a serious addiction, and I need a healthier alternative. I bought the organic ones, but at $3-4 a box..YIKES. I'm going to make these this weekend and see if his picky palette will eat them :)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio