Thursday, April 24

The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie to Celebrate 100!

It has been a while since I posted about a chocolate chip cookie recipe. I offered to make some cookies for a friend in Iraq and he requested chocolate chip...his favorite. I am nothing if not accommodating, so I ventured out for a new recipe. I have been having some recent luck with recipes from Cook's Illustrated, so I decided to see what they had to offer.

This recipe takes the cake. I have been looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipe for a while that could rival the chocolate chip cookie recipe that my next door neighbor used growing up. I have vivid recollections of her cookies. They were chewy, crispy, buttery, and not too thick. And these are the first cookies that I have attempted that come close to the cookies I remember.

Hopefully they will ship well to Iraq and my friend will enjoy them. And trust me, I will make these again and again! No need to search for another recipe. Another Cook's Illustrated winner!

And, this is also to celebrate my 1ooth post! I can't believe that I have posted 100 times! It seems like just yesterday I ventured into this, not sure if it would last and if I even knew what I was doing. Since November, I have joined two fabulous baking groups, stretched my baking muscles, and found my true passion...in baking. My blog has taken on a few new looks along the way and my pictures have improved (but are no where near where some of you are!) I have been blown away by the supportive people in the food blog world and have loved every minute of it. All of you have made this first 100 posts so rewarding and fun and I look forward to 100 more! Thanks for letting me be part of this world!



Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Cook's Illustrated
Makes about 30 cookies


2 1/8 c bleached all-purpose flour (about 10.5 oz)
1/2 t table salt
1/2 t baking soda
12 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 c brown sugar (7 oz)
1/2 c sugar (3.5 oz)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 t vanilla
1-2 c chocolate chips (semi or bittersweet)


Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Adjust oven racks to upper and lower middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.


Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blend. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.


Bake, reversing cookie sheets' positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes). Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight containers.

12 sweets:

Veron said...

Congratulations on your 100th post Sarah! I agree, the food blog world has been so supportive. And there's nothing like chocolate chip cookies to celebrate the occassion. These look delicious!

Tarah said...

Congrats on the 100th post! And these do look like the perfect chocolate chip cookies!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Sarah, these cookies look absolutely beautiful. I'm a cookie addict and would love to try this recipe soon!

Brilynn said...

Congrats on 100!
I'm a fan of Cooks Illustrated, I've always had success with their recipes!

Elle said...

those look perfect! I love Cook's Illus.

And congrats on your 100th post! I have to agree, the food blogging community is FULL of amazing, supportive people.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

These cookies do look like the perfect one! I think I'm going to have to try it!

Deborah said...

You can't usually go wrong with CI!! And congrats on 100 posts!

Alice Q. said...

Wow, those really do look perfect! And I'm always looking for improvements on my favorite food, I think I will give these a shot!

Helene said...

Congrats! Looks great.

Kristen said...

I have a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, but I think I'll give these a try. Your description of them is making my mouth water!

Anna said...

Hi Sarah,

Have you had a chance to try their new one yet?

Anonymous said...

I <3 them so much! I've made them countless of times..... I even have a batch in the oven right now!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio