Wednesday, April 23

Outrageous Brownies

I mentioned before that while I am not a huge brownie fan, I have one go-to recipe that is to die for. For years, I had brownies that were cakey. Most of them were products of a boxed mix. There was really nothing special to them and I really didn't seem to have any need for them. Enter divine intervention...Ina Garten.
I saw the Barefoot Contessa make these brownies on her show and was intrigued. They looked decadent and delicious and for me to think this about a brownie was enough for me to know that I wanted to try them. But, like many recipes I want to try, it got put in a pile and I never got around to it. About a year ago, my boss brought in leftover brownies that his wife had made. I had one to be polite and was in shock. I liked this brownie. No, I loved this brownie. The next time I saw his wife I asked for the recipe. Imagine my surprise when she handed me xeroxed pages from an Ina Garten cookbook. That cinched it up for me and I went on to make the brownies myself.

These are super rich and a little goes a long way. The recipe is actually pretty quick to pull together and makes enough to feed an army! I always halve the recipe and make it in a 9x13 inch pan and it works perfectly. Just be sure to chill them completely in the fridge before attempting to cut them.
Outrageous Brownies
From The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
1 pound unsalted butter
1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (1 cup for batter and 1/4 cup in the chips and nuts)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups diced walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.

Melt together the butter, 1 pound chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together 1 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Do not over-bake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.

16 sweets:

RecipeGirl said...

I'm with you... fudgy brownies are much better than cakey.

I love these too (and I'm a little obsessed with Ina Garten right now!!) Since the recipe makes a ton, I like to send them with my husband and the guys when they go on camping trips.

Next time, try subbing crumbled oreos for the walnuts. Yummy!

bakeorbreak said...

I keep meaning to make these, but I never seem to get around to it. They look delicious!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Those brownies look so sinful!

insane scribbler said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

thx-Saikat

bwb said...

I've made these before and they are absolutely delicious! Yummy!

I like the idea of the crumbled Oreos.

I once had a brownie that had a spicy kick to it, at a Native American museum in the South West. Since then I've tried to come up with a hot and spicy chocolate brownie. Has anyone else ever tried this?

I LOVE your blog!

DocChuck said...

DAMN! . . . You ladies are driving an old curmudgeon, brownie lover out of his mind with these culinarily-orgasmic brownie recipes!

Just yesterday, I related a story about my love for brownies (and MY lovely wife) on another website:

http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/archives/72

Is that legal, for me to post that link? If not, please delete it.

I love brownies. I LOVE your post. And I wish you talented ladies would cut me some slack with the beautiful brownie photos.

I have GOT to quit Googling "brownies".

DocChuck . . . 66 years of loving brownies, and still going strong!

Celine said...

these are a thing of beauty! I don't know if, as rich as you say they are, I'd manage to stop at just eating one.

Sarah said...

Only the best brownies ever. Yours look great!

Deborah said...

This is too funny, because this is the 3rd blog in a row that I have looked at with Ina recipes today. I need to go home and open up my cookbook!!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

I love this recipe, too. Amazing brownies! The quantity is a bit daunting, but, hey, who ever turned down free brownies?

Lisa said...

These look scrumptious! Especially after I ate some Deceptively Delicious brownies which I made today. I guess with 1 lb of better they better be good :)

Melanie C. said...

Wow--those look amazing! I too LOVE the fudgy brownies over cakey ones. I will have to make these! I love Barefoot Contessa! Your blog is great--I am happy to have found it!

noble pig said...

These look like pieces of fudge. I am going to try these.

Tarah said...

Oh, wow! These look amazing! I have to agree with brownies being fudgy are the best. I really don't like cake-like brownies. If you want that, than eat a cake :P

These brownies look beautiful and delicious :]

Kevin said...

Those looks so dense and chocolaty and good!

Tartelette said...

I love this recipe! Fudgy brownies rock!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio