Saturday, April 12

Breakfast on the Go

I am not sure why I have been on a breakfast kick recently, but it is my favorite meal and making things that are tasty and easy that I can eat on the go are a must. Otherwise, I am eating a bowl of cereal, maybe, before heading out to work. When I saw recipes for Egg muffins here and here, I figured that was a great idea and I needed to give it a whir.

I love these silicone muffin "papers". They are super colorful and fun. You start these Egg Muffins with the fillings. For these, I used bacon, tomato and cheese. I filled the cups 1/2 to 2/3 full with fillings. And the beauty of these is that the fillings are only limited to your imagination. This is what I had in the fridge, so it is what I went with.

Next whisk some eggs. Figure you will need one egg for each muffin you plan on making. I only had 7 eggs this morning, so I only made seven. That is the beauty of this...you can make as many or as few as you want. Fill the muffin cups with the egg. Take a toothpick and gently stir the filling ingredients in the egg mixture. Then pop them into the oven at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until they are set and puffy.

Mine poofed right out of their muffin liners! Once they cooled, they settled back in their liners. I ate a few and then will put the rest in the fridge and heat up for a breakfast on the go during the week. Just pop them in the microwave. Easy peasy.

Oh, I just thought I would share with the world what I have to deal with when working at my computer. This is Molly and she likes no other place in the house but my lap when I am working the computer. It makes life interesting trying to type over her head!

12 sweets:

Cheryl said...

Oh, wow, my 5yo would go nuts for these! What a great idea! I wonder if you could add some milk to make the eggs go farther?

April in CT said...

What a great yet very simple idea! This will be great when some vegetarian family members come for a visit. I can customize each persons "muffin" to taste.

Kalyn said...

Your egg muffins look great. I've also become a big fan of the silicone cupcake cups!

Nicole said...

hehehe...my cat does the exact same thing when I'm on the computer! I love those silicone cups, too! Sometimes I use them without a muffin pan, they stand up just fine on a cookie sheet :-)

Sarah said...

Great idea for a quick protein in the morning!


I love your blog so I have nominated you for the Blogging with a Purpose award--Check it out... http://sandkr.blogspot.com/2008/04/blogging-with-purpose-award.html

Sarah said...

cheryl - you can add milk to it, but i just chose to not do that.

april - thanks and what a great idea for guests! simpler than made to order omeletes!

kalyn - thanks!

nicole - glad i am not alone! :) i am always afraid to use them without a muffin tin...guess i need to conquer my fears!

sarah - thanks so much for the award! that is so sweet!

Emiline said...

Cute cat! I just loves cats.

Your egg muffins look cute and yummy.
Now you'll never need to stop into McDonalds again.

April in CT said...

I tried them that day for a late brunch and they are so quick to put together my husband said "When did you go in the kitchen??". I added a little milk and got 6 muffins out of 5 eggs so it works great. I used bacon crumbles and shredded cheese and can't wait to experiment. I bought new silicone muffin cups and had been wanting to try them & they work like a charm..no sticking. Thanks!!

Mary Ann said...

These look great. I am sure my kids would love them. They remind me of some mini-frittatas I made a week ago, that were basically the same idea but in mini-muffins. I love how you can just use whatever is in your fridge!

mimi said...

love the kitty, so pretty! usually mine likes to jump up and start typing away. often i come home and my itunes is playing, mysteriously!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) said...

I just LOVE these little "tarts". They are good hot and cold.

Mary said...

I am so excited about these! thanks for sharing!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio