Wednesday, January 30

Lemonade Anyone?

I saw this recipe in "Gourmet" last month and just knew I had to try it. The pictures looked so good. I had some buttermilk in the fridge from the scones I made last week, so it seemed like a perfect time to make these cookies. The magazine talks about pairing these cookies with lemonade and while I am normally a traditionalist in that milk should always be paired with cookies, I can see where lemonade would be the perfect accompaniment for these cookies.

These are SO good! They are light and tender with a crispy edge. The mix of the zip of the lemon zest and the tang of the buttermilk makes them so fresh tasting. And the glaze adds just enough sweet to make them perfect. I think you should make these as soon as possible!

The reaction at work when I brought these in was phenomenal. Everyone loved them and thought they ranked up there in the top cookies I have shared at work. Another success!


Buttermilk Cookies
From "Gourmet" Magazine (January 2008)
Makes 3 dozen

For Cookies:
3 c all purpose flour
1 t grated lemon zest (I used the zest of a whole lemon, about 2 t)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened1 1/2 c granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 t vanilla
2/3 c well-shaken buttermilk

For Glaze:
1 1/2 c confectioners sugar
3 T well-shaken buttermilk
1/2 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in middle. Butter 2 large baking sheets (I used a Silpat instead of buttering). Whisk together flour, zest, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in batches at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until smooth. (I chilled the dough in the fridge for about 20 minutes at this point)

Drop level tablespoons of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are puffed and edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes per batch. Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute, then transfer to racks.

Whisk together all glaze ingredients and brush onto tops of warm cookies (I did two coats of glaze). Let stand until cookies are completely cooled and glaze is set.

7 sweets:

Deborah said...

These sound delicious!!

Sarah said...

Deborah - Thanks...they were awesome!

Melanie said...

Wow, I can't wait to try these! Not something I would probably choose for a cookie-making day (I'm a chocolate chip cookie lover) but your rave reviews have convinced me!

Sarah said...

Melanie - Can't wait to hear what you think about them!

Sarah said...

Sarah--Thanks for commenting on the cinnamon rolls. These cookies look wonderful! I think I'll have to make them for my dads birthday. He loves anything lemon. I've also added you blog to my google reader :)

Melanie said...

Ok, so I made these cookies tonight. SOOOOO delicious! I loved how light they were and the lemon taste was so subtle but so essential. They would be perfect for a brunch or bridal shower. I am saving this recipe as a keeper. Thanks!

Sarah said...

Melanie - I am so glad you liked them!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio