Friday, January 25

Hay Hay It's Donna Day: Pizza

Is pizza not one of the most perfect foods? It is delicious and can be made in so many different ways. I am a fan of just a pepperoni pizza. But I like experimenting. Goat cheese and chicken anyone? After living in Japan for a while, I discovered that I am a fan of corn on pizza. Some pizza sauce, corn, fresh spinach, garlic powder, and cheese. Mmmm....I could eat that forever! I never did get into dessert pizzas when a regular pizza crust is used. But I do make a Paradise Dessert Pizza with sugar cookie dough, fruit, and yogurt. It is yummy!

When I saw that 80 Breakfasts was hosting Hay Hay It's Donna Day and the theme was pizza, I knew I had to participate. I used the pizza crust recipe that was posted, but altered the toppings. It didn't quite turn out like I had planned, since the grocery store was out of some things I was looking for today. But, my substitutions worked out just fine and it was tasty! I made the crust in my KA and it was great! I think next time I would roll it a bit thinner, but it was chewy and delicious.

I got this recipe from a cooking class I went to a while back. It is no longer in business, but I used to go to a kitchen store that also had cooking classes. The classroom was upstairs and was gorgeous! There were themes and you got to eat a lot, they paired everything with great wine, you walked away with all of the recipes, and they store was open and everything was 10% off when you were there for a class. I went to their pizza class and this was a hit with me. I hope you try this pizza and enjoy!

Pizza Dough
From Modern Classics I by Donna Hay

1 t active dry yeast
pinch sugar
2/3 c warm water
2 c all purpose flour
1 t sea salt
1 t olive oil

Place the yeast, sugar, and warm water in a bowl. Set aside until bubbles form. Add the flour, salt, and oil, and mix to form a smooth dough. Knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a clean, oiled bowl, cover, and allow to stand in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about 20 minutes. Makes one pizza.

Pizza with Pesto, Blistered Grape Tomatoes, and Mozzarella
From Small City

10 in pizza dough
2 c grape tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T olive oil
4 T pesto
1/2 lb mozzarella, thinly sliced (I used 1 c shredded mozzarella)
Chopped fresh basil, optional

Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and then the garlic and grape tomatoes. Cook, moving the pan often, until tomatoes start to "blister" or open slightly. Remove from heat. Roll pizza crust until thin. Spread pesto thinly over pizza crust almost to the edge. Top with mozzarella cheese. Spread blistered tomatoes over all. Bake at 400 degrees until crisp. Garnish with fresh basil, optional.

I sprinkled dried basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes over the cheese and also added some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

5 sweets:

joey said...

Great entry! Thanks for joining HHDD! :)

so simple said...

As much as I love the wonderful toppings nothing compares to simple pizza. Very nice

Barbara said...

This is how I like my pizza, not loaded down with topping and all gluggy. Tjhanks for joining HHDD.

AnticiPlate said...

Delicious! I love blistered tomatoes!

Sarah said...

Thanks to all!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio